Sunday 29 March 2020

Here comes the tough part!






OK. Here comes the tough part. We knew this was coming. A larger and larger number of people testing positive for COVID 19. This is when we double down with our resolve to Stay Home and practise social distancing. This is the moment.
This quote sums it up:
"If you can envision a world where we all stay in the same place, six feet away from everybody else for the next 14 days, then the virus would die itself out. The outbreak would end."
It is extremely important that we all do this now. I was cleaning my exam room today. I am acting like a germaphobe. I have never been concerned about germs before. Every surface gets sanitized after every patient interaction. The personal protective equipment shenanigans before and after each patient visit and then there is the hand washing. Twenty seconds, warm soapy water. It takes 20 seconds to sing, "Happy Birthday" so today, that's what I sang, each time I washed my hands. My nurse practitioner was splitting a gut listening to me sing.
The COVID 19 virus has fat in it's outer layer. Soap emulsifies the fat, destroys the outer layer and kills the virus. Today, I washed my hands, sang "Happy Birthday" and envisioned that layer melting away.
Stay inside. Wash your hands. Essential trips to public places only and when you are there, stay 6 feet away from those around you. Wash your hands. Sing "Happy Birthday". And remember, there is a magnificent team of health care professionals and first responders that circle this city. They are standing between you and COVID 19. You are so cared for. Stay strong. Insist that your fear melts away with that fatty outer layer of the virus. Sing. Find joy. We've got this.
Please share. We need to get this message out far and wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment