Monday 2 August 2021

The incredibly transmissible Delta variant and....chickenpox!

 





The news is not good but there is something we can do about it.

The Delta variant is more transmissible than......

related caronaviruses like MERS and SARS
ebola
the common cold
seasonal flu
the 1918 Spanish flu
and smallpox.

The Delta variant is less transmissible than.....

measles
and chicken pox....but not by much.

Remember the R value? It is the the average number of people that will be infected by one sick person. An R value of 7 means that, on average, one sick person will infect seven other individuals.

Measles is one of the most infectious pathogens we know about with an R value of 12-18. Measles is so contagious that up to 90 percent of people close to an infected person who are not immune will also become infected. ( stat from the CDC).

Chickenpox has an R value that ranges between 9 and 12. On average, for example, one child with chickenpox can infect between 9 and 12 other children in close proximity.

Do you remember 'chickenpox parties'? I do. Before the chicken pox vaccine, people would take their children to the home of an infected child so that their child could get chickenpox before the age of five when serious illness was less likely. It sounds archaic today. Imagine subjecting your child to that. Frankly, most of us got chickenpox just by sitting in the grocery cart while our parents shopped. It was everywhere at certain times of the year. No parties were really necessary but parents did panic if their child had not had chickenpox before they were school aged. I remember my children suffering for days with the 'minor' illness caused by chickenpox. I remember suffering myself.

Do you hear of cases of chickenpox or measles anymore? No. Not in this country. Why? Because of vaccines. The measles vaccine was created in 1963. The varicella vaccine, for chickenpox, was introduced to North America in 1995. Too late for my kids.

And COVID-19? The initial COVID-19 virus, R value of 2.3-2.7 the Alpha (United Kingdom variant), R value of 4-5. The Delta variant has an estimated R value of between 5 and 9.5. Very close to chickenpox and not so far off from measles. ( Centre for Disease Control and other sources).

We immunized the population against measles and chickenpox and these diseases are almost non-existent. We now need to rapidly immunize the population against the delta variant of COVID-19. Barriers to transmission reduce the R value to 0. Barriers like masks, distancing and immunity.

COVID-19 vaccines provide high levels of protection against severe disease caused by the Delta variant. The vaccines may be less effective at preventing infection or transmission as we have learned in the past week but they still prevent more than 90 % of severe disease.

One vaccine does not do the trick. The effectiveness of preventing severe disease after one dose of either a mRNA vaccine or the AZ vaccine is only 30 %.

Get two doses and please, get them quickly. Vaccines are widely available in Canada. We protected our children against chickenpox and measles. Let's protect the country from the Delta variant. It just makes good sense.


As for kids"

We are hoping that vaccines for kids will be available by November. Until then, I think children under twelve should wear masks in school. Hopefully, the fact that most of the adults in their life are vaccinated will add to their protection. The key is that we get to 90 % vaccination rate before schools starts. Then we can all breath a sigh of relief.







Corrections for my last post:

There are 36.6 new cases /100,000 in the USA.
Canada has an infection rate of 2.4 cases/100,000.

And, the delta variant is 50 % more infectious than the alpha variant.

Accuracy is key and thanks to a few of my nerdy science, statistics followers, this Facebook page remains accurate.

Please share.

Anne-Marie

Oh and who knew that basil grows this well in the garden. I will be in pesto heaven over the next few weeks!

For non-Facebook users, you can find this post here:
https://braceletofhope.blogspot.com/

And if you'd like to help Bracelet of Hope work towards making sure that Lesotho has access to these vaccines, donate here:
https://www.braceletofhope.ca/ways-to-

4 comments:

  1. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee.

    Hello everyone, I want to say a special thanks to Dr OGU. for helping me get cured from herpes virus 2019 , I contacted him base on the testimonies I saw about him on the internet I was diagnosed of HERPES Virus i have tried all I can to get cured but all to know avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HERPES virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try I was cured by his herbal medicine and natural herbs, kindly contact him today through his email: drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com or text/call: +1 (719) 629 0982

    He’s waiting to help you.


    HE ALSO SPECIALIZE IN THE FOLLOWING DISEASES;

    If you have any sickness like : H I V/AIDS , CANCER , HERPES HSV 1 or 2 , GENITAL WARTS, Yeast-infection's (HPV), and Hepatitis A, B. liver diseases , Diabetes, 1 or 2. , fibroids, Chlamydia, Genital herpes, Alzheimer’s, Trichomoniasis , Tuberculosis, CAD, Gonorrhea, Epilepsy, and Syphilis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to the great Dr Ehimare herbalist doctor that has cured many people of HPV DISEASE today i am here to testify on his wonders on my life. for changing my life for the better after all the frustration of getting cured finally i got introduce to DR.Ehimare for which i believe has a cured after reading all his testimonies. after writing to him. he responded quick to me that i will be cured for my HPV DISEASE once i am able to receive his herbal medicine. afterwards he prepared my herbal cure and sent to me and when i did received it and used it. i was surprised that there was changes going on in my body. behold after using the medicine for the days he assured me that i should go and test myself. and getting there i was found HPV negative, and even the doctor was surprise and told me this can only be a miracle. i'm completely cured today and that happened by the great herbal remedy. contact DR.Ehimare Now on his email:drehimare3@gmail.com or his WhatsApp Number::+1 (267) 691-1087

    ReplyDelete
  3. THERE IS CURE FOR HERPES VIRUS. This has been a great opportunity for me to speak about Doctor Ishiaku concerning his HERBAL MEDICINE for the cure of HERPES VIRUS. I am a living proof of the cure, it is not a story any more, thank God i gave him a try to cure me, i was confirm 100% negative after the usage of the herbal medicine, it is like a dream to me that Doctor Ishiaku herbal medicine could cure herpes virus to 100% negative, before i proceed further let me quickly share his contact to the general public so anyone suffering from this virus can also have an opportunity like this to be cured. ( what - sapp + 2348180828544) or (email: ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com) .Please let every Herpes patient give herbal medicine a try. It works perfectly well. don't be deceived any more that there is no cure. This herbal medicine was shipped from Africa to me here in the United State by DHL. I am so happy to have seen my health and life back to normal. Thank you Doctor Ishiaku

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to share my testimony about Doctor babaiba who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 1/2 ) by Dr babaiba , i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor babaiba cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get your Dr babaiba healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like

    #CANCER,

    #DIABETES,

    #HIV

    #AIDS,

    #Herpes

    #Std

    #URINARYTRACT #INFECTION,

    #CANCER,

    #IMPOTENCE,

    #BARENESS

    #INFERTILITY

    #DIARRHEA

    #ASTHMA

    #SIMPLEXHERPES #GENITAL

    #COLDSORE

    . he also cure my friend from cervical #cancer Email: drbabaibaherbalsolutiontemple@gmail.com OR

    call or WHATAPP +2348140046509 I am forever greaful ...

    ReplyDelete