Friday 26 June 2020

Not Blending my bubble





Many of us have moved towards expanding our social bubbles to 10. Many have decided to stick with their original bubble of six or less. We had three of our adult kids over for an outdoor BBQ last weekend. There were five of us in total. It was very strange trying to keep that six feet of distance. We used some athleticism at times, darting to the left or right or jumping off decks or steps to keep the distance. It became kind of like a game after a bit. Kinda fun. We like a challenge. Once dinner was served on our laps outside, we relaxed and just enjoyed each other's company. Not hugging is hard. We could blend these bubbles but two of my kids work with the public. One runs a business that would not fair well if he became sick. There are just too many unknowns to stay safe.
So, even though we could blend our bubbles, we are not. If my parents or in-laws were alive, I am sure we would blend with them for their emotional well being. Every group has to make their own decision but, we are in the unique position of watching as other countries re-open with many of their citizens becoming complacent about physical distancing.
Forty thousand new cases in the USA yesterday. The majority of new cases in North America are occurring in young people between the ages of 16 and 30. The death rate in this age group is very low. As a result, fewer people are dying of the virus for now but there are states whose ICU's are filled to capacity. They are being overrun. There are only two options when this happens: Lock everything down again or let the virus run it's course through the population which means mass death and ICU's that must turn sick people away at which point the death rate sores.
You are not going to believe these numbers. They make me my heart jump with hope but at the same time, I feel a sense of dread. Complacency will rob us of the progress we have made. It has done so in so many other countries. Can we learn from them and respond accordingly?
ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN CASES IN CANADA TODAY.
They are only in Ontario. No other province or territory has any new cases. I can't believe we did this. No one predicted we would do this well. Thank you Canada and thank you to every one of you who followed the public health guidelines and sacrificed so much.
Our time of sacrifice is not over.
No one predicted that the huge surge in cases in countries not so lucky as ours would be this bad.
Dr. Isaac Bogoch, an infectious disease physician at Toronto General Hospital, said transmission has declined "to an impressive extent," and lockdowns can't remain in place forever. But he also warned against complacency.
And this from Canada's chief medical officer, Dr Theresa Tam:
"With COVID-19 around us, we can't have a reopening that doesn't include all of us working together to keep our guard up and keep the curve down. Now that spaces are reopening, we need to avoid or strictly limit our time in settings and situations that increase our risk of exposure to the virus, like close spaces with poor ventilation, crowded places with large numbers of people gathered and close contacts where you can't keep the two metres apart from others."
Life as we knew it is gone. Let's accept that. We will head back to being able to socialize and be close again but not now. You can head to that patio, get that haircut, have friends over in your back yard but all with physical distancing and mask wearing. Masks everywhere in public, period.
My staff know that I could blend bubbles with my kids that live close by. But I won't. We do not need to wear masks in the parts of our office that are not open to the general public, but we do...to protect each other. Everything in me screams to the fact that we must follow the guidelines even beyond the guidelines in order to avoid the heart breaking scenario that is happening through out the world. My heart aches for this country and everyone who is suffering in so many ways. I pray, with all my heart, that we will not subject ourselves to more suffering in the name of complacency.
I could hug my beautiful daughter now, but I won't so my staff orchestrated a surprise for me. They hid her away in an exam room, dressed in PPE and used some cockamamy excuse about a sick patient to get me back into my PPE and into that room. We hugged in PPE. Spontaneous tears and the longest hug I have ever had with my daughter. I spent the rest of the day feeling an unexpected joy and sense of peace.
We are missing out on the hugely positive effect of touch and hugs. I will never take that for granted again but I will deprive myself of it for my family, my community and my country. And, I will continue to fight for countries that cannot succeed on their own. Praying for Lesotho too.
Anne-Marie
Please Share
Lets protect the people of Lesotho.
Donations for COVID relief in that beautiful country here:
Lets keep our local charities strong by donating here:
THE GUELPH COMMUNITY FOUNDATION IS JUST $3,000 SHY OF THEIR $100,000 GOAL in support of our local charities who are at risk of closing due to COVID 10. Can we get them to their goal this weekend?
For non-Facebook users, you can find this post here:
https://braceletofhope.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment