Tuesday 27 October 2020

A Case Scenario:

 




So, here we are at a new milestone with 10,001 deaths caused by COVID 19 in Canada.
Number of cases currently hospitalized in Ontario- 312
Six weeks ago there were 39 hospitalized
Number of patients currently in the ICU- 75
Six weeks ago there were 14
Percent positivity is at 3.5%, up from 2.9% late last week.
R value is up from 1- 1.07 in the province.
This means that the second wave is now affecting the elderly and those at risk for serious illness.
Ninety percent of the new cases are in Toronto, Ottawa, Peel and York. This means that if you live outside these areas, your risk of contracting COVID 19 is low and negligible if you wear a mask and practise social distancing. I am confident that we will see the cases in the hotspots decline in the coming week. I am cheering you on Toronto, Ottawa, Peel and York. Here's to lower numbers so that you can move back into stage 3.
I picked my husband up from the Guelph General Hospital last night. He has been waiting for almost a year to have a scope on his knee. We stopped for some take out and we made a trip to the pharmacy on the way home. Every single person I saw was wearing a mask and everyone was distancing. Thanks for that. You are helping to keep our hospitals open. I am grateful to be living in a country where my husband can get his knee repaired by an expert surgeon at no cost to him AND during a pandemic. I know how hard the administrative folks and the health care workers at our hospital have worked to keep the hospital up and running for cases just like this one and many, many others. Having worked in the third world, I know how truly lucky we are. A shout out to the Guelph General for all you do.
I did my usual TIM's run this morning. I am ashamed to say that I behaved like a stiff-necked old person. There were 7 or 8 teenagers standing in a circle together, shoulder to shoulder, no masks. I could not resist. I said, "Hey, I am a doctor ( I rarely ever pull the doctor thing ) and over 360 people in this province have died of COVID 19 in the last 2 weeks because of gatherings like this. Put a mask on".
I was hit with annoyed teenage faces and smirks. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Only one left her mask off and she sneered at me in defiance. I get it. It's rude for a stranger to accost kids in a parking lot. It is not in my nature at all to do that. Each to his own with no judgement is my MO. But, come on, 360 people in 2 weeks. Thirty-six thousand new infections in the country in the same time period.
Here is a possible scenario. One of those teenagers has COVID 19 and passes it on to one of their friends standing in that circle. That friend goes home and passes it on to their mother. She decides that the girls weekend she and her friends had planned after last year's weekend, was too important to miss. So, they gather, fully intending to wear masks and keep a safe distance. But someone pulls out a lovely bottle of Pink Lady and before you know it the laughter cranks up a notch or two and how can you possibly not hug these friends you love so much especially given all the stress everyone has been living under. They all get COVID but one gets sick. She is one of the 75 in the ICU. She is hanging on but it does not look good.
Contacts are traced. The mom and her teenager find out that they transmitted COVID 19 to the woman in the ICU.
I just couldn't live with that. I am sure none of us could live comfortably knowing we were responsible. But there are many people in Ontario who are living with that knowledge right now. They never intended to do harm. They just didn't believe that COVID 19 was about them too.
That is what has been happening across the country. The province continues to ask us to minimize our socializing to just the people we live with. No gathering. But, can I make a recommendation? If you have something planned that you cannot resist, first think twice and cancel it. If you go, be safe. Put a mask on and stay six feet apart. It's like telling your teenage kids not to have sex. The next line should be but if you do, please be safe and use a condom along with effective contraception.......made you blush didn't I.
The ups and downs of COVID - 19. Stick to the plan and the public health guidelines and all will be well.
Anne-Marie
Please share.
PS- The Finding the COVID-19 Balance part 2 webinar has been changed to November 9th. There is growing interest out there. Bracelet of Hope has partnered with our friends at the Canadian Mental Health Association for this event. Watch for fliers across the region. Any donations generated from the event will go to Bracelet of Hope and Hope House. Man, that's a beautiful win-win situation.
For non-Facebook users, you can find this post here:

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thank you for publishing this. Where can we find the info to sign up for the webinar?

    ReplyDelete