Sunday 31 May 2020

A COVID 19 Triumph


I had a different post in mind but I have to share this special moment I had with an elderly COVID 19 patient who has recovered. At high risk because of his age and underlying health issues, he was very ill. He required a hospital admission but not an ICU admission. Four weeks later, he is still fatigued. hIs cough is almost gone. He is gaining back some of the 30 pounds he lost. His appetite is back!
He is eager to regain his strength so, everyday, he walks around his yard. He still feels winded with every walk. Part of the work up of a COVID 19 patient is testing the Oxygen Saturation ( O2 sat). It is done with a sensor that is placed over the patient's finger. A normal O2 Sat is between 95 and 100 percent. When sitting, this man's O2 sat was 97%. I yelled and punched the air with my glove covered hand. He laughed. I said, " You have the oxygen saturation of a young man. You beat this!".
I was worried about his shortness of breath with exertion so, I wanted to find out what is O2 saturation was after exertion. The best way to do that is to have him walk up and down the halls. The building my office is in is now empty of the other tenants. They are not essential workers. There were several empty hallways that we could choose from. So, I led him out of the exam room and asked him to follow me. I pretended to jog, in my full PPE, while he trotted behind me. I kept encouraging him to move a little faster. Back in the exam room, he looked great after our little jaunt. I repeated his O2 sat. It was still 97 % and we both cried.
It reminded me of the days when I would prescribe HIV medications to a dying patient and watch him return to life just weeks later. Happy dances then. Happy dances now.
We can beat this. We are beating this.
I keep commenting on how well Canada is doing. It is one of the few countries with fewer than 500 deaths/ day ( 79 in the last 24 hours) and just over 1,000 new cases/ day. In the USA there are well over 20,000 new cases/day and 1,000 deaths/day. Brazil is in rough shape. Italy, the United Kingdom, Spain, all had awful surges that rapidly progressed and killed 10's of thousands.
We did well and continue to do well because of our leaders and because we followed their lead. They followed the advice of medical experts and we were all united in this process. Thousands of lives were saved. It has been very tough. People are showing signs of the strain of prolonged isolation but here we are. Brazil has mass graves ready for the dead. Spain had to do the same. I am so grateful to you and our leaders that we were spared that. Blessings to the people of America and Brazil. And blessings to all of the grieving families in this country and around the world.
You heard the news about masks being strongly recommended by or chief medical officer of health. There is no question now that they should be used in public to reduce the risk of transmitting the virus.
Remember the links if you are struggling. We are speaking to many more patients who are now overwhelmed.
For local assistance with anxiety and depression:
www.here4help.ca
CMHA WW Website: www.cmhaww.ca
Here 24/7 at 1-844-HERE-247 or www.here247.ca.
And for post-secondary students, Good2Talk
https://good2talk.ca/
And if you can support:
Relief efforts in Lesotho:
Efforts in Guelph:
No post tomorrow night. I am on call. Back at it on Friday.
Be ever so grateful for your leaders tonight.
Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment