Sunday 31 May 2020

My Rocky Balboa moment and slow and steady wins the race





Today was almost too frantic. I ran a liquid nitrogen clinic at my office. Those pre-cancerous and cancerous lesions need to be treated, pandemic or not. Today is the first day since the start of all this that I wore a gown and cap all day ( both donated by you). There was no point in taking it off. I so enjoyed actually seeing each of my patients today but it was a marathon. The coordination needs to be bang on. Patient at the back door, hands sterilized and mask on. Patient then follows the doctor who is completely covered in protective equipment. Both patient and doctor keep their hands clasped in front. Much like my mother used to make me do when I was a kid in Stedmans years ago. Remember Stedmans? Then into an exam room that has been washed down and sterilized. Procedure done. Patient is ushered out the back door, hands sterilized again, mask stays on.
Doctor than cleans down every surface in the exam room, changes mask, shield and gloves with repeated hand washing and ushers the next patient in. It is so much more complex and time consuming than pre-COVID 19.
At one point today, I looked at my fitbit, raced to the reception area, hands in the air, yelping like Rocky. I never get to 5,000 steps at the office. There is always a positive side.
There were too many back door drop offs for me to count today. I can't keep up. You are marvellous. I have asked my daughter, Elise Zajdlik to help with the donations. We spoke today about how best to manage this post. We agreed that it is important to respond to your comments and questions. I can't get to all of them. You may see her responding to some of your questions about donating and needing protective equipment and funds. She will also keep track of questions about COVID 19 that I will try to answer in these posts.
By way of update:
A tearful moment today when one of my patients who has recovered from COVID 19 sent a card of thanks to our staff. She sounds great and is well enough to head back to work.
Two more of my positive patients are recovering well at home. I speak to them each day.
One of my patients talked about how she believes she was made for a time like this. She doesn't have much money but what she has, she is using to support her neighbours and friends in need. Now that's the ticket!
Yes, the number of infected in this country continues to rise but not at the rate expected and yes we are losing people. That will continue for some time. Several provinces are now discussing their plans to open up some of our restrictions with a view to getting people back outside and back to work. This has to be done so slowly and carefully. Slow and steady.
Take a look at this website to see how well we are doing.
Click on, " Are we flattening the curve". Then look at the graphs under Total Cases in Canada, Total Cases by Province and, this one is my favourite, The Daily Percent Increase in Cases. There is no doubt about it. All the curves are flattening and the drop in new daily cases is just remarkable.
We were all made for a time like this. This is our success. The world will be different when COVID 19 is good and gone but we will be more than OK.
Stay the course folks!
Please share

No comments:

Post a Comment