Sunday 31 May 2020

LIfe in PPE






Yep. I was caught on camera jogging in my PPE's again.
Virtual medicine involves a lot of sitting and talking on the phone. I get up a few times a day and do some laps of the clinic. Strange to see an empty waiting room. I am starting to really miss my patients. Suck it up princess. It's is going to be awhile yet. But, look how far we have come:
Canada has not seen the predicted surge of COVID-19 cases in hospitals that many feared would overwhelm the health-care system and lead to a spike in deaths.
The rate of infections went from doubling every 3 days to doubling every 10 days.
Hospitals and intensive care units have so far successfully managed the situation.
We've definitely flattened the curve and we're at a point where, presumably in the next week, we'll see those numbers starting to go down.
Canadian hospitals, medical teams, cities and governments took an "all hands on deck" approach to ensuring they that the health care system would be able to care for a surge in patients. It was and is a remarkable, collaborative and united feat; an absolutely stunning, nationwide example of team work. I simply cannot overstate how brilliant and miraculous this is.
And get this. Remember the worse case scenario that Premiere Ford warned us about 2 weeks ago? We achieved the best case scenario. A shout out to his team and to every provincial government. And thank you for having the faith to follow them.
I spoke to patient after patient today. These were mostly elderly folks that I am following for their chronic disease management. Today they were in great spirits. They are walking outside once a day. They are enjoying having their groceries delivered by one angel or another. Family and friends are checking up on them every day. They are alone but they know it could be so much worse. They are usually anxious to get off the phone. They think they are wasting my time. They are not. They are giving me their strength and wisdom, showing me how to endure, how to smile in the face of adversity.
And you, this 'team' of followers? I read a remark this evening that gave me a brand new perspective. People are reading your comments. Your comments are filled with such gratitude, good will and hope that people who are reading them feel more hopeful. They are reading about your thoughts and feelings. Your willingness to share your fears and vulnerabilities is giving them strength and encouragement.
I will say it again. Nothing is more powerful than this. Hope and action will knock the life out of this virus.
I am off for the next few days. Hoping to summarize a few things including where we are headed with respect to a vaccine. Stay tuned. Your comments are helping others to heal.
Stay strong. Please share.
Anne-Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment